CLASS TITLE: Assistant Principal
REPORTS TO: School Principal
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
APPROVED: January 14, 2016- Order #2016-1720
Provide administrative service and technical assistance to staff as well as other stakeholders. Assist schools in strengthening instructional programs through a strategically planned, standards-based approach with a focus on narrowing the gap. This position will provide leadership in the areas of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and planning.
- Assists with data organization from all assessments and diagnostic instruments and develops strategies for intervening with students who are experiencing difficulties.
- Engages staff in intensive data analysis and results planning
- Implements and supports the goals determined by the district/schools’ comprehensive plan.
- Works collaboratively with other educators to integrate educational initiatives and resources
- Assists in program implementation and curriculum development
- Assists schools in developing and implementing comprehensive plans designed to meet individual schools’ student achievement needs.
- Assists schools in determining effective methods for the integration of curriculum standards, instructional strategies, and the developmental use of authentic assessment
- Models a variety of instructional strategies designed to be rigorous and mirror assessment.
- Assists in identifying professional development needs and developing long-range professional development plans
- Coaches and models research based instructional strategies.
- Mentors new teachers
- Supervises staff as needed and required.
- Evaluates staff as needed and required.
- Maintains regular attendance.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Curriculum, instruction and assessment
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Research methods and report writing techniques.
- Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- To perform the responsibilities as previously outlined.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a computer terminal.
- Prioritize and schedule work.
- Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Three (3) years of successful teaching experience with demonstrated evidence of and potential for success in administrative/supervisory responsibilities
- Demonstrates knowledge of current curriculum and instructional trends and techniques
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Kentucky Certification as Principal