CLASS TITLE: LIBRARY MEDIA SPECIALIST
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
APPROVED: January 14, 2016- Order #2016-1720
BASIC FUNCTION: To provide each student with an enriched environment containing a wide variety and range of materials that will invite intellectual growth and to aid all students in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of library media sources. Develops and facilitates a school based library media program which meets and exceeds goals established by federal, state and local school authorities in order to provide information needs of students and teachers in the instructional process.
- Conducts and facilitates activities and projects to provide quality school library media services to students and teachers which support the curriculum parameters and instruction.
- Manages and supervises the organization and operation of the school library/media center.
- Provides leadership and direction to assigned school as they implement instructional technology plans, particularly as they relate to library and information services.
- Provides for school professional development for staff to encourage leadership, competence, and creativity in developing programs.
- Advocates the principles of intellectual freedom that govern the universal right to read and to access information and ideas.
- Prepares, administers, monitors, amends, and keeps an accounting of budget designated for library/media center; attend to all recordkeeping, correspondence, requests, meetings, related to library/media center.
- Maintains knowledge of current statutes, policies, guidelines, regulations, trends and research that affect the instructional program and assist assigned school in remaining current on such information related to school library media services.
- Assists school staff with curriculum, instruction, and assessment projects. Serve on various district and school committees upon request.
- Brings to the attention of the Coordinator, Media Services matters related to instructional improvement which require consideration or action in the area of library media services.
- Stays abreast of technological advancements by attending seminars, workshops, etc., for upto-date training.
- Uses various kinds of equipment effectively.
- Demonstrates a commitment to professional growth.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Adheres to professional Codes of Ethics adopted by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board.
- Maintains regular attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Research methods and report writing techniques.
- Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- To perform the responsibilities as previously outlined.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a computer terminal.
- Prioritize and schedule work.
- Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Three years of successful teaching experience
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Kentucky certification for Library/Media Science (K-12)