CLASS TITLE: SPECIAL EDUCATION CONSULTANT
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
APPROVED: January 14, 2016- Order #2016-1720
BASIC FUNCTION: Coordinate and assist in the implementation of the Madison County Board Policies and Procedures as they relate to special education. Provide technical assistance and professional development training in the implementation of the Kentucky Administrative Regulations, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Assist the Director of Special Education in the development and implementation of MCPS Board Policies and Procedures as related to special education.
- Schedule ARC’s according to Policy and Procedures and timelines.
- Chair annual review, transfer, eligibility, and re-evaluation ARC’s.
- Co-chair ARC’s as designated.
- Assist staff, parents, etc. in referral procedures including chairing a committee designated to assist staff in interventions and strategies prior to a referral to special education, collecting required information prior to ARC to discuss referral (up-dated screenings, documentation of interventions, etc.).
- Assist staff with interventions and strategies in behavior management (i.e., classroom management programs, individual behavior management programs, conducting a Functional Behavioral Assessment, de-escalation strategies, Safe Physical Management, etc.).
- Collect data at the school level consisting of number of referrals, effectiveness of special education programs, etc.
- Provide in-service to staff on special education issues including due process, eligibility, specific areas of disabilities, etc.
- Assist with scheduling of special education students.
- Complete due process forms correctly and accurately.
- Perform other duties as specified by the supervisor.
- Completes written documentation in a timely manner.
- Maintains regular attendance.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Must have working knowledge of the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Knowledge of evidence based practices as related to the RTI process.
- Working knowledge of I.C. or current technology program utilized to document due process records.
- Consultation methods and practices.
- Psychological practices, procedures and equipment.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic public speaking techniques.
- Provide technical assistance in the development, dissemination and evaluation of procedures for obtaining psychological services.
- Must be knowledgeable in the various areas of due process including referral, timelines, ARC procedures, least restrictive environments, etc.
- Assist in the identification and evaluation of students with psychological and emotional problems.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Consult with parents, teachers and others regarding psychological and emotional-related issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Work independently with little children.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Special education teaching certification
- Master’s Degree in Special Education
- 10 years of successful teaching experience
- Endorsement for Educational Consultant
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Kentucky Certification in Special Education
- Endorsement as teacher consultant